The closing date for application submission has been extended to 20:00 Hrs (IST) of 9th October 2017 (Monday).
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology(at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
GATE 2018 will be conducted for 23 subjects (also referred to as “papers”) and it would be distributed over 3rd, 4th, 10th & 11th of February 2018. The GATE examination centres are spread in differentcities across India, as well as, at six cities abroad. It would purely be a Computer Based Test(CBT).
The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on the several years of examination data. Note that the GATE 2018 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results.
Qualifying in GATE is a mandatory requirement for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to:
(i) Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and
(ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches ofScience, in the institutions supported by the MHRD and other Government agencies.
Even in some colleges and institutions, which admit students without MHRD scholarship/assistantship, the GATE qualification is mandatory. Further, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) havebeen using the GATE score in their recruitment process.
About GATE 2018
- IIT Guwahati is the organizing institute for GATE 2018.
- Information website for GATE 2018 is www.gate.iitg.ac.in
- GATE 2018 will be conducted on 23 subjects (also referred to as “papers”).
- Examination for all the 23 subjects (papers) will be conducted as ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT).
- The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions will be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type. The Candidates will use ONLY an on-screen virtual calculator provided for the examination.
- A candidate can appear only in ANY ONE paper of the GATE examination.
- GATE 2018 examinations will be held during the forenoon and afternoon sessions on 3rd, 4th, 10th and 11th of February 2018.
- Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2018 may be held in multiple sessions. However, a candidate can appear for the examination in one session ONLY.
- Exact details of the complete examination schedule will be notified later on the GATE 2018 website.
- Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode ONLY at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
- The entire process of filling up of the application form and uploading of certificates/documents, etc. is in online mode only. The candidates should not send any hard copy of his/her application form/documents etc. to IIT Guwahati or any of the zonal GATE offices.
- The payment of application fees is through electronic mode.
- The Admit Cards for GATE 2018 would be available only on GOAPS website. Candidates can download their Admit Card from GOAPS website. No printed copy of the Admit Cards will be posted to the candidates.
Important Dates related to GATE 2018
GATE Online Application Processing System(GOAPS) Website Opens: 1-9-2017
Last Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website): 5-10-2017
Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City: 17-11-2017
Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing): 5-1-2018
GATE 2018 Examination: 3rd, 4th, 10th & 11th of February 2018
Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal Saturday: 17-3-2018