COMBINED GEO-SCIENTIST AND GEOLOGIST EXAMINATION, 2018
Date of Notification : March 21, 2018
You can apply from : 21-03-2018 (March 21, 2018).
Last date to apply : 16-04-2018 at 6.00 pm (April 16, 2018).
Fee: 200/- rupees.
Female / SC / ST / PwBD candidates are exempted from payment of fee.
To Apply click here: www.upsconline.nic.in
What are the jobs?
- Category I : Posts in the Geological Survey of India, Ministry of Mines.
- Geologist, Group A : 24 vacancy
- Geophysicist, Group A: 17 vacancy
- Chemist. Group A: 06 vacancy
- Category II: Posts in the Central Ground Water Board, Ministry of Water Resources.
Junior Hydrogeologists (Scientist B), Group A : 23 vacancy
Who can apply?
Minimum Educational Qualifications:
- Posts in the Geological Survey of India, Ministry of Mines.
- For Geologists Gr ‘A’ in Geological Survey of India
- For Geophysicists Gr ‘A’ in Geological Survey of India
- For Chemists Gr ‘A’ in Geological Survey of India
Master’s degree in Geological Science or Geology or Applied Geology or Geo-Exploration or Mineral Exploration or Engineering Geology or Marine Geology or EarthScience and Resource Management or Oceanography and Coastal Areas Studies or Petroleum Geosciences or Petroleum Exploration or Geochemistry or Geological Technology or Geophysical Technology.
M.Sc. in Physics or Applied Physics or M.Sc. (Geophysics) or Integrated M.Sc. (Exploration Geophysics) or M.Sc (Applied Geophysics) or M.Sc. (Marine Geophysics) Or M.Sc. (Tech.) (Applied Geophysics).
M. Sc. in Chemistry or Applied Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry.
- For Junior Hydrgeologists (Scientist B), Group ‘A’ in Central Ground Water Board.
- Master’s degree in Geology or Applied Geology or Marine Geology or
- Master’s degree in Hydrogeology from a recognized University.
- For Geologist and Geophysicist and Chemist (Group ‘A’) in the Geological Survey of India:
- For Jr. Hydrogeologist:
Your date of birth should be between 2-1-1986 and 1-1-1997.
A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years on the first day of the month of January of the year in which the Examination is to be held (i.e. as on 1st January, 2018] i.e. he/she must have been bornnot earlier than 2nd January, 1986 and not later than 1st January 1997.
Your date of birth should be between 2-1-1983 and 1-1-1997.
Must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained at the age of 35 years on 1st January 2018 i.e. he/she must have been born not later than 2nd January 1983 and not later than 1s t January 1997.
- 5 years for SC and ST candidates
- 3 years for OBC Non Creamy Layer
- For other criterion, please refer notification.
DOWNLOAD Notification here
DOWNLOAD Plan & Scheme of Examination here
DOWNLOAD Syllabus here
DOWNLOAD Previous Year Question Papers here
Detailed Plan and Scheme of Exam
(common for all category)
Note I: Candidates competing for selection to the posts of Geologist, Geophysicist, Chemist and Junior Hydrogeologist will be required to appear in all the subjects mentioned against respective category above.
Note II: Candidates competing for selection for both the posts of Geologist and Jr. Hydrogeologist will be required to appear in all the subjects mentioned against Categories 1 and 4 above.
Note III: If any candidate failed to appear in any one or more of above papers, meant for written examination for selection to the post of Geologist, Geophysicist, Chemist, their candidature shall stand rejected and part of written examination appeared by him/her shall not be evaluated and counted for any purpose.
SCHEME OF EXAMINATION:
1. The examination shall be conducted according to the following Plan:
a) Written examination
b) Interview for personality Test of such candidates as may be called by the Commission, carrying a maximum of 200 marks.
2. The examination in all the subjects will be of conventional (essay) type.
3. The standard of the paper in General English will be such as may be expected of a science graduate. The papers on geological subjects will be approximately of the M.Sc. degree standard of an Indian University and questions will generally be set to test the candidate’s grasp of the fundamentals in each subject.
4. All Question papers must be answered in English. The Question Papers will be set in English only.
5. The standard and syllabus of the examination will be as shown in the Schedule.
6. Candidates must write the papers in their own hand. In no circumstances will they be allowed the help of a scribe to write answers for them.
7. The Commission has discretion to fix qualifying marks in any or all the subjects of the examination.
8. If a candidate’s handwriting is not easily legible, deduction will be made on this account from the total marks otherwise accruing to him/her.
9. Marks will not be allotted for mere superficial knowledge.
10. Credit will be given for orderly, effective and exact expression combined with due economy of words in all subjects of the examination.
11. In the question papers wherever necessary, questions involving the Metric System of Weights and Measures only will be set.
12. Candidates should use only International form of Indian numerals (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc) while answering question papers.
13. Candidates are permitted to bring and use battery operated pocket calculators for answering papers in this examination
14. Interview for Personality Test: The candidate will be interviewed by a Board of competent and unbiased observers who will have before them a record of his/ her career. The object of the interview is to assess his/her suitability for the posts for which he/she has competed. Special attention will be paid in the Personality Test to assessing the candidate’s capacity for leadership, initiative and intellectual curiosity, tact and other social qualities, mental and physical energy, powers of practical application, integrity of character and aptitude for adapting themselves to the field life.